Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Mixed emotions

I have mixed emotions of my time at home this summer. Part of my screams, "But I don't want to be a stay-at-home mom; I like getting up and getting dress and having a place to go and having adult conversations and not having to sneak to the bathroom so that I can take care of business without an audience." Part of me feels like I'm a better mom when I have had that time away. A big part of me likes that the kids get to be around other kids and other adults.

But then there's the part of me that loves having the chance to get to witness those sweet little moments, like when Layton leaned over to Ainslee at the table and said, "I love you so much," and she, in turn, put her arm around him and patted his back or when Ainslee was trying to teach Ava how to eat her peas and she helped her get them to her mouth. Sometimes I even love when they are fussing or throwing fits and then I get to comfort them and hug and kiss and hold them.

I think I'm lucky that I don't have to decide what I like best. I get to go to work 10 months out of the year (which I really do love) and then I get to spend two solid months with my kids during summer break. I guess all I can do is enjoy whichever part of the year I happen to be in.

No comments: